Saturday, March 24, 2007

New Music

I didn't start out with the plan to buy music. When I saw CD's for less than $8, it just sort of happened. Luckily, I have a very loving and forgiving wife...

Glory Revealed: The Word of God in Worship, is a very bluegrass infused album of worship. The main attraction of this album is that all of the lyrics come from scripture. It evokes a peace because of its lyrics, and peace is something that we can all use more of in this day and age. From what I hear, the song "By His Wounds" is getting quite a bit of airplay on Christian radio stations. It deserves the time that it is getting - it's a beautiful song.


Sometimes you know what you're getting into. This is one of those times. Group 1 Crew is the Christian market answer to the Black Eyed Peas. if you like BEP, you'll like G1C - simple as that. However, I suggest that you listen to "Forgive Me" even if the Peas are not your style. It's a great song, using Psalm 23 as a base lyric.


And then there are the albums that you don't expect. Ruined For Ordinary by Nate Sallie has quickly become a wonderful surprise. I hope I don't overplay the music on my ipod too quickly. I'd hate to have the freshness and insightfulness of his lyrics become stale from too much time blaring out of my speakers. Nate has created a unique sound that is reminiscent of Coldplay, Gavin DeGraw, and even Billy Joel (the piano) without becoming derivative of any of those artists. This is why I like him - he seems to be his own. Nate Sallie has apparently had a "life change" that is documented in these songs. Even the title list on the back is a part of his story: "A BREAKTHROUGH occured when I LET GO OF ME, and became living proof, that mine was not an UNDERCOVER BELIEF. Empowered by the HOLY SPIRIT, I sing WHAT I BELIEVE because I am a new creation so take a LOOK AT ME NOW! If all I had left was JUST A BREATH, I'd sing a LOVE SONG penned by the hand of the DIVINE. No longer a LONE RANGER, I've been RUINED for an ordinary life, as I listen to the master of melodies SING THROUGH ME." I look forward to hearing more of what this man has to say.

Blessings,
Jermaine

No comments: