Saturday, August 25, 2007

Everyone Hold Your Breath!!!

Only two days until my journey begins anew as a high school choir director! As I was putting together my choir handbook (borrowed liberally from three other schools in the area), I began to reminisce about Secondary Music Methods (yes, 11 or 12 years ago now). We had to put together a one page behavior contract. I'm pretty sure I remember being told that one page was all you need to have - and any more than that is overkill. Fourteen pages later, I'm done with my choir handbook. Apparently, inflation crosses over to behavior contracts, and not just money.

Bowie High School is big. Now, this wouldn't be a big problem, except that it's big and poorly organized. At least, that's the initial impression. Sure, the layout SEEMS to make sense: even halls on the bottom level and odd numbered halls on the top. But in reality? MOST. CONFUSING. SCHOOL. LAYOUT. EVER. Hopefully, I won't have to know all of it to teach my classes. I did find out that some of the teachers didn't know who the last choir director was. So my goal is to be known (in a good way) so that they THINK about the choral program at BHS. I'm sure they think about football, volleyball, and baseball. I'm relatively certain that they think about band and orchestra. They at least know that the drama department exists. But I don't think that the teachers think about choir. We gots to change that!

My lovely wife had an accident this week. Not to worry, Naunie is fine, as is the other girl involved in the accident. However, her front fender is now taking up residence in her back seat while we search for a new (re: used an inexpensive) car for her to drive. I'm working on convincing her that the '88 and '85 Oldmobile's are good deals. Not sure how well that's going to go...

3 comments:

WORDS CAFE said...

Hope it's going well, Mr. Lobaugh! Thinking of you this week!

Anonymous said...

J!

It's Mike Garvey - just sorting through my old emails and I found this! Hope all is well - you look very happy man - I'm happy for you and I think (because it doesn't say in your blog dude!) - you're in Dallas?!
Ok - you rock - I'm going to start a blog now!
Peace.
Mike Garvey
mikeg1168@yahoo.com

everchris said...

I'm sure you are doing great! I hope Naunie and your car search has gone well. Talk to you later