Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Boredom

Today I didn't have any church work to finish, school work to finish, and my "holding room" was taken from me so I didn't have a room to practice my guitar. My student teacher is in the classroom, and I spent my day in the teacher's lounge. Doing just that. I did read some in Hebrews, and I read the first chapter of VELVET ELVIS, but it was a long day. I might have to find someplace outside to spend my time, that way I can practice without bugging anyone, and as a bonus, I would get to be in God's beautiful creation!

I found out that we had over 1000 in attendance for Easter - Praise God! I hope that we will have trouble filling our pews this Sunday! I know that Easter and Christmas bring everyone and their dog out to services, but if those people can come for one Sunday, what is to keep them from coming back?

So, VELVET ELVIS, chapeter one. I'm going to enjoy this book I think. It may be the closest to a "serious" book that I will read - you know the kind where the writer is asking legitimate questions and talking about serious biblical truths, ideas, and philosophies. That is not usually me. I'm way too scatterbrained and unfocused for that. But since I have prior knowledge that I enjoy Rob Bell (again, see NOOMA videos), I am able to dig a bit deeper.

Hmmm, that's a bit like people at church. We have added guitars and drums and taken away the organs and choirs. Why? Well, we want people to engage in worship. We want new visitors and curious people to come in, feel comfortable, and want to stay. So we sing songs that they might hear on the radio (or at least the styles of songs they might hear). We "dress down" so that they are comfortable and don't feel out of place if they are not in a suit. We have to be careful that we don't entertain...that's not our purpose is it? My purpose is to worship. It's not even about bringing others to worship - that's my job. Don't get me wrong. I love that part. Creating a worship experience that is engaging is a huge part of my joy. But I am at church myself to worship. Not to be a show for the congregation. I pray that in my worship, I am able to bring others with me on the journey. But God doesn't want show. God wants me. You. He wants us naked and unassuming. He wants us questioning and fearful and in awe of His presence and wonder. Do you wonder about God?

No comments: